Monday, May 2, 2016

Social Media in Education



Social media and education can make strange bedfellows. On one side of the coin, teachers in traditional classrooms struggle to get students to focus on schoolwork and stay off social media. Students are sharing homework answers on social media sites, and the increase of plagiarism in the last decade is outstanding. According to "Is Technology Responsible For The Increase In College Plagiarism?" (n.d.), "Unfortunately, for college students, the temptation to use technology for shortcuts is very high. Not only is it easy to plagiarize by simply cutting and pasting, but it is also easy to purchase fully written papers, reports, even PhD dissertations. On many college campuses, the internet has changed from a tool for gathering information to one for stealing & buying information. “(para. 7). Now the other side of the coin, when teachers can use social media to help their students. When teachers are able to reach a student may it be on the basketball court, during a after school art program or through social media both parties benefit. At my former high school, one math teacher has his own Facebook page where he posts homework assignments and things that he taught that day in class. This way, when kids are checking their feeds, homework assignments and reminders will inevitably show up on the screen. This is a good way to get students attention and remind them about upcoming tests or homework. I think many educators could take a page from his book. Staying relevant with students and connecting with them to help them achieve educational milestones are always the desired outcome. When educators reach out and connect with students on their level, they will make an impact. As a student of University of Phoenix, I am on my third years for my Bachelor’s degree. I have taken many classes and only on one occasion did a teacher instant message me. She was asking me how the week was going and if I had any questions about the assignment. I was floored, blown away, and I worked that much harder in her class. I felt like she cared more than the others did. It was a two-minute conversation but it changed my perspective for that class instantly. If more teachers took this stance, think of the progress that could be made with students that are struggling.




References



Is Technology Responsible for the Increase in College Plagiarism?. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://en.writecheck.com/blog/2011/10/04/is-technology-responsible-for-the-increase-in-college-plagiarism

No comments:

Post a Comment